MoonDragon's Parenting Information
DAY CARE CHILD SAFETY
By Fiona Lohrenz
CHILD SAFETY - THINGS THAT ARE GOOD
1. Always keep your child neat and clean.
2. Clip nails carefully and regularly.
3. Wet and soiled diapers should be removed promptly and child cleaned thoroughly.
4. Ensure genitals are clean and dry at all times in order to avoid fungal infection.
5. Care of the scalp is very important. Fungal infections, dermatitis, etc., can be prevented by proper cleaning.
6. Ensure clothing is loose and airy as tight clothes can be irritating to the skin.
7. Room should have sufficient light and ventilation. It should be free from dust and dirt.
8. Arrange a appropriate sized bed with a waterproof undersheet for the child.
9. Always keep some music making toys near babies and children.
10. The neck muscles in a young baby are weak so always support the head with your hand.
11. Mothers milk is the best nutrition for the baby,it also gives emotional attachment. Breast milk should be given as per the babies need preferably with mom in sitting position. Proper cleaning of nipple is also necessary. Mom should have a good nutritious diet throughout lactating period.
12. Bottle feeding moms should clean, sterilize and keep dry feeding bottles.
13. Never heat drinks in microwave as liquid can be boiling in parts.
14. Milk, fibers, food and cosmetics can cause allergies. If child is exhibiting an allergic reaction try to discover the offending allergen through a process of elimination.
15. Mosquito nets should be used regularly. Diseases like malaria, dengue, filariasis, yellow fever spread through mosquito bites. Mosquito bite can also produce skin eruptions with some allergic reactions and can disturb sound sleep.
16. Ensure you have a calm, consistent bedtime routine to encourage healthy sleep. Kids need lots of sleep. Growth hormones kick in during REM so napping kids are busy.
17. Growth development, behavioral development, motor development, personal social development, language development, etc., should be noted in relation to age. However, parents need not be over anxious as slight variations are seen from individual to individual.
18. Regular measurement of weight and height is essential to assess growth.
19. In the early months of life infant may defecate after every feed. Proper toilet training should be given when the infant grows. The infant can be placed on the toilet seat by the age of ten months.
20. Always thoroughly sanitize the toilet seat. Sharing with other kids isn't encouraged.
21. If the baby shows some signs of distress like excessive crying, convulsions, fever with rigor, stiffness of neck, frequent vomiting and diarrhea, bluish discoloration of the body, difficult breathing with grunting, etc., pay attention and consult your health care provider.
22. Keep a fully stocked first aid kit to hand which should contain dressing, sterile cotton and antiseptic lotion. Note all emergency numbers and keep in an obvious place.
23. Child's medicines should be kept in separate box. Information regarding dose and mode of administration should be noted and affixed to the box.
24. Ensure you have the correct car seat fitted.
25. When you are going out with the baby have an identity card with your phone number and address inside his small pocket.
26. Supervise a child learning to walk to minimize accidents.
27. If an accident occurs, take necessary first aid measures and get the victim to a nearby hospital.
CHILD SAFETY - THINGS THAT ARE NOT SO GOOD
1. No shaking baby as it can cause brain damage.
2. Don't keep any small articles near the baby.
3. Same goes for sharp or pointed items.
4. Avoid allowing water into ears while in the bath.
5. If a child is coughing or crying a lot don't try to get them to eat.
6. Do not over feed the baby.
7. Keep any dangerous or toxic substances out of child's reach.
8. Avoid tight clothing.
9. Care should be taken if your baby is on the bed that they do not fall off.
10. Do not give your baby to strangers and avoid close contact with others.
11. Childproof all electrical sockets and wires.
12. Kitchen is a dangerous place for children. Don't leave them alone in the kitchen.
13. Supervise your child the entire time they are in the tub. Keep water level low.
14.Avoid smoking inside the house.
15. Keep pets at a distance (ensure they have received all shots).
16.When the child starts walking ensure you have locked gates on stairs and never allow them to climb the steps.
17. Avoid strong light in the bedroom.
18. When you are traveling don't accept food from fellow passengers.
19. Don't allow a child to crawl in the dirt.
20. If you are sick or someone else is sick stay away from the kids.
21. Avoid areas of pollution, large crowds and hospital wards.
22. Table lamp should not be kept near the kids, this will attract insects at night and cause problems.
23. Never give medicine that has been prescribed for someone else to your child.
24. Medicine which has passed the expiry date should not be used.
Owning and operating a day care for 10 years provides Fiona Lohrenz with lots of material for her child care articles. Not to mention her childcare website and DVD guide to Starting a Child Care business at www.startchildcare.com.
This article was submitted by Fiona Lohrenz for electronic reproduction July 16, 2008. Thank you Fiona for your contribution.
RELATED MOONDRAGON INDEX LINKS
MoonDragon's Pregnancy Information Index
MoonDragon's Parenting Information Index
MoonDragon's Pediatric Information Index
MoonDragon's Pregnancy Information Index & Survival Tips
AROMATHERAPY: ESSENTIAL OILS DESCRIPTIONS & USES
Allspice Leaf Oil Angelica Oil Anise Oil Baobab Oil Basil Oil Bay Laurel Oil Bay Oil Benzoin Oil Bergamot Oil Black Pepper Oil Chamomile (German) Oil Cajuput Oil Calamus Oil Camphor (White) Oil Caraway Oil Cardamom Oil Carrot Seed Oil Catnip Oil Cedarwood Oil Chamomile Oil Cinnamon Oil Citronella Oil Clary-Sage Oil Clove Oil Coriander Oil Cypress Oil Dill Oil Eucalyptus Oil Fennel Oil Fir Needle Oil Frankincense Oil Geranium Oil German Chamomile Oil Ginger Oil Grapefruit Oil Helichrysum Oil Hyssop Oil Iris-Root Oil Jasmine Oil Juniper Oil Labdanum Oil Lavender Oil Lemon-Balm Oil Lemongrass Oil Lemon Oil Lime Oil Longleaf-Pine Oil Mandarin Oil Marjoram Oil Mimosa Oil Myrrh Oil Myrtle Oil Neroli Oil Niaouli Oil Nutmeg Oil Orange Oil Oregano Oil Palmarosa Oil Patchouli Oil Peppermint Oil Peru-Balsam Oil Petitgrain Oil Pine-Long Leaf Oil Pine-Needle Oil Pine-Swiss Oil Rosemary Oil Rose Oil Rosewood Oil Sage Oil Sandalwood Oil Savory Oil Spearmint Oil Spikenard Oil Swiss-Pine Oil Tangerine Oil Tea-Tree Oil Thyme Oil Vanilla Oil Verbena Oil Vetiver Oil Violet Oil White-Camphor Oil Yarrow Oil Ylang-Ylang Oil Aromatherapy
Healing Baths For Colds
Using Essential Oils
AROMATHERAPY: HERBAL & CARRIER OILS DESCRIPTIONS & USES
Almond, Sweet Oil Apricot Kernel Oil Argan Oil Arnica Oil Avocado Oil Baobab Oil Black Cumin Oil Black Currant Oil Black Seed Oil Borage Seed Oil Calendula Oil Camelina Oil Castor Oil Coconut Oil Comfrey Oil Evening Primrose Oil Flaxseed Oil Grapeseed Oil Hazelnut Oil Hemp Seed Oil Jojoba Oil Kukui Nut Oil Macadamia Nut Oil Meadowfoam Seed Oil Mullein Oil Neem Oil Olive Oil Palm Oil Plantain Oil Plum Kernel Oil Poke Root Oil Pomegranate Seed Oil Pumpkin Seed Oil Rosehip Seed Oil Safflower Oil Sea Buckthorn Oil Sesame Seed Oil Shea Nut Oil Soybean Oil St. Johns Wort Oil Sunflower Oil Tamanu Oil Vitamin E Oil Wheat Germ Oil
HELPFUL RELATED MOONDRAGON NUTRITION BASICS LINKS
MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Amino Acids Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Antioxidants Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Enzymes Information MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Herbs Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Homeopathics Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Hydrosols Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Minerals Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Mineral Introduction MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Dietary & Cosmetic Supplements Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Dietary Supplements Introduction MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Specialty Supplements MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Vitamins Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Vitamins Introduction
NUTRITION BASICS ARTICLES
MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: 4 Basic Nutrients MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Avoid Foods That Contain Additives & Artificial Ingredients MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Is Aspartame A Safe Sugar Substitute? MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Guidelines For Selecting & Preparing Foods MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Foods That Destroy MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Foods That Heal MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: The Micronutrients: Vitamins & Minerals MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Avoid Overcooking Your Foods MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Phytochemicals MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Increase Your Consumption of Raw Produce MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Limit Your Use of Salt MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Use Proper Cooking Utensils MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Choosing The Best Water & Types of Water
RELATED MOONDRAGON HEALTH LINKS & INFORMATION
MoonDragon's Nutrition Information Index MoonDragon's Nutritional Therapy Index MoonDragon's Nutritional Analysis Index MoonDragon's Nutritional Diet Index MoonDragon's Nutritional Recipe Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Therapy: Preparing Produce for Juicing MoonDragon's Nutrition Information: Food Additives Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Information: Food Safety Links MoonDragon's Aromatherapy Index MoonDragon's Aromatherapy Articles MoonDragon's Aromatherapy For Back Pain MoonDragon's Aromatherapy For Labor & Birth MoonDragon's Aromatherapy Blending Chart MoonDragon's Aromatherapy Essential Oil Details MoonDragon's Aromatherapy Links MoonDragon's Aromatherapy For Miscarriage MoonDragon's Aromatherapy For Post Partum MoonDragon's Aromatherapy For Childbearing MoonDragon's Aromatherapy For Problems in Pregnancy & Birthing MoonDragon's Aromatherapy Chart of Essential Oils #1 MoonDragon's Aromatherapy Chart of Essential Oils #2 MoonDragon's Aromatherapy Tips MoonDragon's Aromatherapy Uses MoonDragon's Alternative Health Index MoonDragon's Alternative Health Information Overview MoonDragon's Alternative Health Therapy Index MoonDragon's Alternative Health: Touch & Movement Therapies Index MoonDragon's Alternative Health Therapy: Touch & Movement: Aromatherapy MoonDragon's Alternative Therapy: Touch & Movement - Massage Therapy MoonDragon's Alternative Health: Therapeutic Massage MoonDragon's Holistic Health Links Page 1 MoonDragon's Holistic Health Links Page 2 MoonDragon's Health & Wellness: Nutrition Basics Index MoonDragon's Health & Wellness: Therapy Index MoonDragon's Health & Wellness: Massage Therapy MoonDragon's Health & Wellness: Hydrotherapy MoonDragon's Health & Wellness: Pain Control Therapy MoonDragon's Health & Wellness: Relaxation Therapy MoonDragon's Health & Wellness: Steam Inhalation Therapy MoonDragon's Health & Wellness: Therapy - Herbal Oils Index
MOONDRAGON'S MERCHANT VENDORS & PRODUCTS
Educational materials and health products are available through Amazon.com.
Use the search box provided below to search for a particular item.
MOONDRAGON'S REALM - WEBSITE DIRECTORY
A website map to help you find what you are looking for on MoonDragon.org's Website. Available pages have been listed under appropriate directory headings.