MoonDragon's Nutrition Information: Diets
ALLERGY & FOOD SENSITIVITY DIET
The allergy and food sensitivity diet is a preliminary step in omitting some of the foods that cause an allergic reaction, either immediate or delayed. For more information see Allergies.
The diet may be recommended once a recognized relationship has been established between a particular food or foods and a symptomatic reaction. Common signs and symptoms of food allergy include skin reactions (itching, erythema, hives, eczema, edema) or reactions of the gastrointestinal tract (vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain). Systemic anaphylactic reactions could include sneezing, wheezing, conjunctivitis, palpitations, cardiac arrhythmia, shock, or collapse. Reactions can be immediate, or take up to 72 hours to appear.
The following information describes some of the more common food allergies (wheat, eggs, milk, corn). Other common allergies include: Seafood, nuts, legumes, chocolate, cola, citrus fruit, beef, white potatoes, pork, chicken, oatmeal, rye, mustard, garlic, tomatoes and cucumbers. The wheat-, egg-, corn- and milk-free diets commonly use an "elimination" approach to assess potential food allergies and intolerances. Elimination diets must be planned carefully and monitored regularly.
If planned carefully, allergy diets are generally adequate in all nutrients. The exception would be the milk-free diet, which is inadequate in calcium and will likely require supplementation. The elimination diets can be deficient in calories, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals; therefore, long-term use is not advised and monitoring of nutritional sufficiency is essential.
NOTE: These diets should only be utilized under the guidance of a "nutritionally trained" health care provider.
Avoid foods containing wheat and wheat products. These include:
- Beverages: Flavored milk drinks (malted, chocolate, etc.), instant coffee unless 100 percent coffee, coffee substitutes, beer, gin and whiskey.
- Breads: Commercial breads including rye unless 100% rye, soy, cracked wheat, graham, whole wheat, many corn breads, matzo, pretzels, melba toast, zwieback, etc.
- Cereals: All dry or cooked wheat cereals, wheat germ, wheat bran, graham flour.
- Crackers & Cookies: All commercial products.
- Desserts: Cakes, doughnuts, pastries, cones, commercial ice cream, prepared cake and cookie mixes, commercial pie fillings, custards, and puddings thickened with wheat flour.
- Gravies, Sauces, and Cream Soups: Commercially prepared products are usually thickened with wheat flour.
- Macaroni, Noodles, Spaghetti, Vermicelli: Avoid all, except specially made wheat-free products.
- Meats: Breaded or prepared with wheat flour, hotdogs, sausage, and bologna, canned meat dishes with sauce.
- Miscellaneous: Cream cheese dips, seasoned potato chips, soy sauce, salad dressing (thickened with wheat), and commercial baked beans.
Avoid foods containing eggs. These include:
- Beverages: Eggnog, root beer, malted drinks, any drinks made with eggs.
- Breads: Any breads and rolls with glazed crust, sweet rolls, pancakes, waffles, doughnuts, pretzels, French toast, etc.
- Broth & Consommes: Avoid all.
- Cookies & Cakes: Check labels of all commercial mixes and products. Frostings must be egg-free.
- Desserts: Cream pies, meringues, custards, ice cream, sherbet, candy, (almond paste, cream, chocolate, fondant, marshmallows, etc.).
- Noodles: Egg noodles.
- Meats: Any meat containing eggs such as meat loaf, meat balls, croquettes, breaded meats, etc.
- Dressings: Salad dressings and mayonnaise unless egg-free, egg sauces such as Hollandaise.
- Other: Egg substitutes containing eggs.
Avoid all foods products containing milk. These include:
- Beverages: Cow's milk in all forms - fresh, buttermilk, dry, evaporated, condensed, yogurt, whey, chocolate milk, cocoa, or any beverage made with milk.
- Breads: Commercial breads or rolls with milk or milk products added to ingredients list. Check prepared mixes.
- Fats: Avoid butter.
- Cheese: All kinds.
- Cookies & Cakes: Check labels on all commercial products and mixes.
- Desserts: Cream pies, custards, ice cream, sherbet, chocolate, and caramel.
- Creams: Cream, whipped cream, and sour cream.
- Meats: Meat loaf, cold cuts, frankfurters, etc.
- Miscellaneous: Mashed potatoes (made with milk), cream sauces, cream soups, creamed vegetables, milk gravy, and chowder prepared with milk.
Avoid foods containing corn, corn syrup and corn starch. These include:
- Beverages: Ale, beer, coffee creamer, gin, grape juice, instant tea, milk substitutes, soy milk, and whiskey.
- Breads: Corn bread, muffins, or rolls, enchiladas, English muffins, corn chips, tacos, corn tortillas, graham crackers.
- Cereals: Commercial, hominy, many ready-to-eat, such as corn flakes.
- Fats: Corn oil, corn oil margarine, gravies, salad dressings thickened with cornstarch, and shortenings unless source of oil is specified.
- Desserts: Cakes, candied fruits, canned or frozen juice, cream pie, ice cream, pastries, pudding mixes, sherbet.
- Soups: All commercial soups, homemade soup thickened with cornstarch.
- Meats: Bacon, ham, luncheon meats, sausage.
- Sweets: Candy, cane sugar, corn syrup, imitation maple syrup, jam, jelly, and preserves.
- Vegetables: Harbard beets, corn, mixed vegetables, succotash.
- Miscellaneous: Baking powder, catsup, chewing gum, cheese spreads, Chinese foods that contain corn or use corn starch, commercial mixes of all types, confectioner's sugar, distilled vinegar, MSG, peanut butter, popcorn, vitamin capsules and yeast.
WHEAT, EGGS, MILK, CORN FREE DIET - SAMPLE MENU
SUGGESTED MEAL PLAN SUGGESTED FOODS & BEVERAGES
Coffee or Tea
DINNER - NOON OR EVENING MEAL
Vegetable and/or Salad
Tuna Salad (non-egg mayo)
Rye Crisp Crackers
SUPPER - EVENING OR NOON MEAL
Soup or Juice
Potato/Potato Substitute Dessert
Turkey Rice Soup
Peanut Butter Balls
Fruit or Juice
* To reduce the fat in your diet, omit margarine, use non-fat salad dressing.
Calories Protein Carbohydrate Fat Cholesterol Dietary Fiber Vitamin A Vitamin C Niacin Riboflavin Thiamin Folate Calcium Phosphorus Zinc Iron Sodium Potassium
1556 Kcal 89 gm 191 gm 55 gm 162 mg 20 gm 2869 IU 132 mg 30 mg 0.7 mg 0.9 mg 115 mcg 172 mg 1062 mg 7 mg 8 mg 1255 mg 2355 mg
NOTE: Bulk herbs and supplements are available through Mountain Rose Herbs and our other merchants listed below.
MoonDragon's Nutrition Information: Diet Index
MoonDragon's Health & Wellness: Sulfite Allergies
MoonDragon's Health & Wellness: Detecting Your Hidden Food Allergies
MoonDragon's Nutrition Information: The Rotation Diet For Allergies
MoonDragon's Health & Wellbeing: Allergies
MoonDragon's Nutrition Information: Food Allergies Links
MoonDragon's Nutrition Information: Recipe Index
MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics Index
AROMATHERAPY: ESSENTIAL OILS DESCRIPTIONS & USES
Allspice Leaf Oil Angelica Oil Anise Oil Baobab Oil Basil Oil Bay Laurel Oil Bay Oil Benzoin Oil Bergamot Oil Black Pepper Oil Chamomile (German) Oil Cajuput Oil Calamus Oil Camphor (White) Oil Caraway Oil Cardamom Oil Carrot Seed Oil Catnip Oil Cedarwood Oil Chamomile Oil Cinnamon Oil Citronella Oil Clary-Sage Oil Clove Oil Coriander Oil Cypress Oil Dill Oil Eucalyptus Oil Fennel Oil Fir Needle Oil Frankincense Oil Geranium Oil German Chamomile Oil Ginger Oil Grapefruit Oil Helichrysum Oil Hyssop Oil Iris-Root Oil Jasmine Oil Juniper Oil Labdanum Oil Lavender Oil Lemon-Balm Oil Lemongrass Oil Lemon Oil Lime Oil Longleaf-Pine Oil Mandarin Oil Marjoram Oil Mimosa Oil Myrrh Oil Myrtle Oil Neroli Oil Niaouli Oil Nutmeg Oil Orange Oil Oregano Oil Palmarosa Oil Patchouli Oil Peppermint Oil Peru-Balsam Oil Petitgrain Oil Pine-Long Leaf Oil Pine-Needle Oil Pine-Swiss Oil Rosemary Oil Rose Oil Rosewood Oil Sage Oil Sandalwood Oil Savory Oil Spearmint Oil Spikenard Oil Swiss-Pine Oil Tangerine Oil Tea-Tree Oil Thyme Oil Vanilla Oil Verbena Oil Vetiver Oil Violet Oil White-Camphor Oil Yarrow Oil Ylang-Ylang Oil Aromatherapy
Healing Baths For Colds
Using Essential Oils
AROMATHERAPY: HERBAL & CARRIER OILS DESCRIPTIONS & USES
Almond, Sweet Oil Apricot Kernel Oil Argan Oil Arnica Oil Avocado Oil Baobab Oil Black Cumin Oil Black Currant Oil Black Seed Oil Borage Seed Oil Calendula Oil Camelina Oil Castor Oil Coconut Oil Comfrey Oil Evening Primrose Oil Flaxseed Oil Grapeseed Oil Hazelnut Oil Hemp Seed Oil Jojoba Oil Kukui Nut Oil Macadamia Nut Oil Meadowfoam Seed Oil Mullein Oil Neem Oil Olive Oil Palm Oil Plantain Oil Plum Kernel Oil Poke Root Oil Pomegranate Seed Oil Pumpkin Seed Oil Rosehip Seed Oil Safflower Oil Sea Buckthorn Oil Sesame Seed Oil Shea Nut Oil Soybean Oil St. Johns Wort Oil Sunflower Oil Tamanu Oil Vitamin E Oil Wheat Germ Oil
HELPFUL RELATED MOONDRAGON NUTRITION BASICS LINKS
MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Amino Acids Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Antioxidants Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Enzymes Information MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Herbs Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Homeopathics Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Hydrosols Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Minerals Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Mineral Introduction MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Dietary & Cosmetic Supplements Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Dietary Supplements Introduction MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Specialty Supplements MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Vitamins Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Vitamins Introduction
NUTRITION BASICS ARTICLES
MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: 4 Basic Nutrients MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Avoid Foods That Contain Additives & Artificial Ingredients MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Is Aspartame A Safe Sugar Substitute? MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Guidelines For Selecting & Preparing Foods MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Foods That Destroy MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Foods That Heal MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: The Micronutrients: Vitamins & Minerals MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Avoid Overcooking Your Foods MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Phytochemicals MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Increase Your Consumption of Raw Produce MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Limit Your Use of Salt MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Use Proper Cooking Utensils MoonDragon's Nutrition Basics: Choosing The Best Water & Types of Water
RELATED MOONDRAGON HEALTH LINKS & INFORMATION
MoonDragon's Nutrition Information Index MoonDragon's Nutritional Therapy Index MoonDragon's Nutritional Analysis Index MoonDragon's Nutritional Diet Index MoonDragon's Nutritional Recipe Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Therapy: Preparing Produce for Juicing MoonDragon's Nutrition Information: Food Additives Index MoonDragon's Nutrition Information: Food Safety Links MoonDragon's Aromatherapy Index MoonDragon's Aromatherapy Articles MoonDragon's Aromatherapy For Back Pain MoonDragon's Aromatherapy For Labor & Birth MoonDragon's Aromatherapy Blending Chart MoonDragon's Aromatherapy Essential Oil Details MoonDragon's Aromatherapy Links MoonDragon's Aromatherapy For Miscarriage MoonDragon's Aromatherapy For Post Partum MoonDragon's Aromatherapy For Childbearing MoonDragon's Aromatherapy For Problems in Pregnancy & Birthing MoonDragon's Aromatherapy Chart of Essential Oils #1 MoonDragon's Aromatherapy Chart of Essential Oils #2 MoonDragon's Aromatherapy Tips MoonDragon's Aromatherapy Uses MoonDragon's Alternative Health Index MoonDragon's Alternative Health Information Overview MoonDragon's Alternative Health Therapy Index MoonDragon's Alternative Health: Touch & Movement Therapies Index MoonDragon's Alternative Health Therapy: Touch & Movement: Aromatherapy MoonDragon's Alternative Therapy: Touch & Movement - Massage Therapy MoonDragon's Alternative Health: Therapeutic Massage MoonDragon's Holistic Health Links Page 1 MoonDragon's Holistic Health Links Page 2 MoonDragon's Health & Wellness: Nutrition Basics Index MoonDragon's Health & Wellness: Therapy Index MoonDragon's Health & Wellness: Massage Therapy MoonDragon's Health & Wellness: Hydrotherapy MoonDragon's Health & Wellness: Pain Control Therapy MoonDragon's Health & Wellness: Relaxation Therapy MoonDragon's Health & Wellness: Steam Inhalation Therapy MoonDragon's Health & Wellness: Therapy - Herbal Oils Index
For a full list of available products from Mountain Rose Herbs, click on banner below:
MOONDRAGON'S REALM - WEBSITE DIRECTORY
A website map to help you find what you are looking for on MoonDragon.org's Website. Available pages have been listed under appropriate directory headings.